Monday, November 22, 2010

Reliving Puberty

Remember the days we used to wake up, step out of our pajamas, take a look in the mirror, and think to ourselves what the F&#K happened to my body overnight?!

I had my fair share of those mornings, oh, about fifteen years ago. One day I suddenly had a chest, the next my picture-perfect skin was home to a new crop of zits, and on another my hips had doubled in size. I didn't think it was all that fun back then, and I think it is a crime I have to experience it a second time.

You think I am exaggerating (sigh...here she goes again, ranting about putting on a few pounds), but I have been thinking about this whole body image thing a lot this week and the best way to describe the changes are to equate them to the pubescent experience. Of course, I know I need to go through this to become healthy again. I know I am far too active to double in size overnight, or even in a matter of months. I know I cannot go from running on empty to eating like a normal person without some moderate weight gain.

But, dammit, I bet you my year's salary you would be hard pressed to find anyone recovering from an eating disorder who accepts weight restoration and refeeding with open arms. So before you go all "yes, but you just need to suck it up and get healthy" on me (which, yes, I know, thank you very much), just let me bitch a little bit about my very own adult version of puberty.

Trust me, you'd be bitching too. And it wouldn't be pretty (remember your hormones during that time?).

This week, the body is changing by the hour. I hate it and I've thrown little tantrums every time I notice The Change of the Moment. Seemingly overnight I have once again grown an ass, developed hips around my once-protruding hip bones (not a pretty look, I don't really miss that, but still), and started to fill out my bras yet again. Most annoying of all is the softness around my waistline. For nearly a year I have had not an ounce of excess skin around my middle and a very flat stomach (at times, probably sunken actually...but who knows...I couldn't see it), and as I've inched towards health the slightest little layer of softness has appeared and now covers my ribs (I'm sure that's a good thing). My old body- wrecked by starvation and purging- resembled that of a pre-pubescent girl...bony, stick-like. The new body is trying to grow back into the curves and muscles I once had...yet it differs somehow. I'm no longer the stick figure, but my body isn't exactly going back to its old form either. It's a new, unfamiliar feeling that is taking some getting used to.

I know other people cannot see any of this. However, it is very real to me.

LA and I talk about body image a lot, even though she is not a therapist. I like to talk to her about it because she is 1. a woman, 2. an athletic woman like me, and 3. reminds me that health and strength are the ultimate goals and will be worth the mental anguish when it's all said and done. I especially like it when she validates what I am feeling with science, which helps to make me feel a lot less crazy. For example, she explained to me that the softness around my midsection may not be in my head; rather, that a lot of people trying to restore weight after an eating disorder will gain their weight in that location first. Over time, the body will pull from that weight and redistribute it to other parts of the body to develop more muscle.

Music to my ears. In that case, I'll try to leave it be. Thanks, LA.

I think the most frustrating part of weight restoration is that, for me, it seems like a very isolating process. While Dr. Joe has helped me to open up more to those in my life and talk through my emotions (as an alternative to throwing them up, burning them off, or not eating to turn them off), I just don't feel right expressing my frustration, depression, and anger about gaining weight.

For starters, as I have mentioned before, most people would roll their eyes in disgust the second someone my size begins to rant about curvy hips, a "flabby" midsection, or thicker thighs. While the anxiety over my changing body is often crippling, expressing any form of real emotion related to these areas comes across as desperate, attention-seeking, or ungrateful. After all, many would consider my current body to be the ideal. However, to me, it sometimes represents laziness and imperfection. It is all a matter of perspective; unfortunately, a lack of perspective is often what fuels the development of an eating disorder in the first place.

Secondly, the eating disordered mind has a way of warping the "compliments" that are often thrown casually into conversations about healthy weight gain. The eating disorder translates the following we're-so-proud-of-you comments as:

"You don't look sick anymore!" = I've changed. The weight gain is obvious. Shit, I thought it was just in my head.

"You look like your old self!" = I apparently look like I did before I developed the eating disorder, which was obviously fat and sloppy or else I would have never felt the need to drop half of my body weight in the first place.

"You have curves again!" = Yep, it's confirmed. I have love handles. Those were not in my imagination.

"Your face has that healthy glow!" = That comment is reserved for pregnant woman in their third trimester, so I must currently resemble one. All the fat has settled into my cheeks and I have apparently developed a double chin.

You get the picture. It's a messed up world inside here, let me tell you.

Thirdly, it's hard to admit that something as trivial and superficial as physical appearance actually has the power to rule my life. For example, there are mornings on which I do not want to get out of bed and be seen by people, thanks to the distorted perception I have of my own body. Now, most people who know me know I have a very strong work ethic and there isn't much that keeps me from tackling the day's to-do list. Given that fact, you can imagine how painful and real these moments must be in order to keep me from facing the day.

Now imagine picking up the phone and calling a confidant to say "I just (sob) can't (sob) do it (sob, sob) today, it's all (sob, sniffle) too much (sob) to face (sniffle, sob, sniffle) and I feel so (sob) miserable and (sniffle) lazy and fat."

Yeah. No one is going to listen to that. There are children starving in Africa for god's sake. World wars. Poverty. Terrorism, natural distasters, and economic downfall. The fact that I experience such catastrophic distress over weight gain seems utterly selfish, shallow, and ridiculous...even to me. Yet, at times, I cannot shake it. It's the eating disorder talking, and it's much more powerful than I give it (sorry, HE...forgot that LA labeled my ED as male) credit for.

For these reasons, the second puberty go-round is, seemingly, more painful than the first. Back then, at least I could comiserate with an endless sea of hormonal, rapidly developing peers.

*Sigh*...oh well. This is all part of the process. I keep reminding myself of that, and trying as best I can to ride the wave of post-eating disorder weight gain. Thankfully, I sometimes experience moments of clarity during which I can see myself on the other side of this: strong, muscular, lean, solid. My body was there once, before I decided to (foolishly) take matters into my own hands. Fifteen years ago, the first round of body changes didn't end up so badly. I'm trying to have faith that the second go-round will leave me pleasantly surprised by the results as well.

5 comments:

  1. Just wanted to let you know that I saw you yesterday, and, although you definitely still need to gain some pounds, you are looking so much healthier, and not in the least fat or flabby as you brain may be telling you. Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I absolutely agree! No one wants to gain weight and if they did, they would hate it as much as you do. So you are not alone. This whole transition time would shake anyone's world. I think overall people don't know how to support you through this. You twist compliments into insults. You have a list of what not to do (previous post), but there really isn't much about what to do that would be supportive. I know I shouln't speak for everyone, but I would say this... there are so many people who read your post, truly care about you and want the best for you. Don't waste your time worrying about what others think. I know I am not judging you and I would like to think the people who matter to you most are not either. Listen to your doctors and the Mr. and forget the rest.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I totally agree with Anonymous #1 and #2. #2, I think I feel the same way a lot. I know what not to do, but I'm not sure what to do besides be myself and treat M. as friend. I know when the time and situation are right, she'll reach out. And if she ever needs me I'm here.

    But yes, M., know if we're reading this we care. We do little cheers (ok, well I do) on the inside when you reach a milestone, have a big success, etc. And we cringe when you have bad days. That's us caring about you. And when we're not reading this and seeing you face-to-face we say hello, ask how you're doing and wait for your response. Sometimes the two pieces (this blog and your words) aren't synchronous, but we're still listening and caring and cheering you on!

    You're doing great!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the comments, everyone.

    I apologize if I am not giving enough information about how to support or help. Honestly, I use this blog as a journal, as an account of what it is like to work through all of this. I do not necessarily structure what I write for others. I try to present whatever is on my mind, or process through situations, comments or thoughts as they happen. At times, the posts will be positive and offer direction as to how to help, at other times I'm just processing through what is going on in my head and using this space as a place to put it all down in words.

    It has always been my goal to portray all of this exactly how I experience it. Unfortunately, that means writing about how my mind processes compliments, what triggers me, or what situations present challenges. When I read the blogs/books/articles written by others who struggle with eating disorders, these honest stories are what validate my thoughts as "normal" the most. At times, I write from that perspective: trying to accurately describe the experience as best I can so that others who are trying to overcome eating disorders can relate.

    Please know that when I detail how my brain processes the words of others, or interactions I have, I am not intending to offend or "tell people what to do or what not to do". I'm just writing honestly about what this is like and helping people see the world through the same distorted lens I (unfortunately) use.

    As far as not knowing what to do/say...

    I have said before that NO ONE needs to change who they are, what they say to me, or the level of our friendship because of the eating disorder. It's my job to learn how to respond to triggers in a healthy way.

    Not one person in my life should feel pressured to "fix" the situation by doing exactly the right thing at all times. I have a treatment team I love and trust, and they are the only ones truly trained to help. I recognize that, why is why I never expect anything more from anyone else other than friendship.

    It's tempting to isolate me when you don't know what to say/do. I've seen that in some of my friends, and I can honestly say that if there is one thing to avoid, that would be it. Nothing you say will offend or hurt me (come on, now, you know I'm pretty tough!), but I am easily hurt when people pull away. I spend so much of my time working on overcoming this that I truly appreciate the genuine, happy "friendship" moments with people I love...gossip, talking about what is going on in each other's lives, feeling connected. Those moments help me feel normal, loved, and supported more than anything else you could say or do.

    Long comment...but I wanted to touch upon some of the things that were mentioned in there :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, and I should also mention that whenever I'm feeling The Body Hate, as I call it, my mantra has become: 26.2, 50K, 26.2, 50K...I want to achieve some of these goals so badly that developing the strong body I need to get through them overrides the "I hate gaining weight!" tantrums. If someone is looking for a way to support or motivate me to keep going in the right direction, that's the ticket! Just keep reminding me... ;)

    ReplyDelete